Juicing is a great way to incorporate additional nutrients into your diet without feeling like you’re “only allowed to eat salad this week.” Uggh…I hate that feeling and thinking that way is not a great mindset for long-term goals.
Instead of that line of thinking, dieting should be considered a life-long, healthy attitude toward foods and with juicing, you can work a massive yet healthy amount of veggies (and some fruits) into your diet. Take this recipe, for instance: Today, I wasn’t planning on eating two beets, a half a head of celery, an entire romaine heart, two cucumbers and two apples – but that’s just what this recipe does, minus the additional pulp that doesn’t get juiced.
Further, when it comes to juicing, adding in an additional 2.5-5 grams of PGX® Granules (that’s two stick packs or between ½ and 1 full scoop of granules) I can get some additional fiber into my diet and get the benefits of satiety1,2 that you get from taking PGX.
Caution: Do not put the PGX granules through your juicer. They should be manually mixed into a glass of your juice by hand immediately before drinking.
Beet Juicing Recipe with PGX
- 2 romaine hearts
- 2 apples
- 2 beets
- 2 cucumbers
- ½ head of celery (optional)
- 2.5 – 5 g PGX Granules*
- Using a centrifugal juicer – start by juicing the romaine hearts at LOW/MED speed. Because the leaves are thin, sometimes large particles of them can get caught in the blades. The rest of the “heavier” fruits and veggies will help push those un-juiced leaves through.
- Increase speed to HIGH and juice the remaining apples, beets, cucumbers and celery.
- Pour a 8-12oz of juice into a drinking glass.
- Mix with 2.5-5 g of PGX granules.
- Drink immediately (within 1-5 minutes). PGX Granules don’t dissolve in liquids – they absorb water sort of how chia seeds do, so they should be consumed quickly after mixing with any liquid.*
Yield: 2 Quarts
Variety Tip: Get creative by adding in any other healthy fruits or vegetables you have on hand. With this recipe, carrots or spinach would go nicely.
Storage Tip: You can refrigerate any juice you don’t immediately drink for up to 24 hours. Because of oxidation, the juice starts to lose its benefits very quickly, so be sure to drink it within 24 hours or make slightly smaller batches. Be sure to store it in an air-tight container – glass jars work perfectly.
* Drink additional water (8 fl. oz.) after ingesting PGX. If you are taking medications, take one hour prior to or two hours after taking PGX.
1. Kacinik V, Lyon M, Purnama M, Reimer RA, Gahler R, Green TJ, Wood S. “Effect of PGX®, a novel functional fibre supplement, on subjective ratings of appetite in overweight and obese women consuming a three-day structured, low calorie diet.” Nutr Diabetes. 2011, 1:e22. doi: 10./038/nutd.2011.18.
2. Lyon MR, Reichert RG. “The effect of a novel viscous polysaccharide along with lifestyle changes on short-term weight loss and associated risk factors in overweight and obese adults: an observational retrospective clinical program analysis.” Altern Med Rev. 2010; 15(1): 68-75.