You may find it hard to fit in exercise on your vacation between all the adventuring, exploring, and relaxing you’re doing. But logic dictates that a little maintenance when you’re away will help you stay on track with your long-term health and fitness goals. Luckily, we have a few simple ways to work exercise into your vacation, while still leaving plenty of room for fun and adventure.
Track Your Steps
While playing tourist you will likely be doing a lot of walking, so keeping track of your steps is an excellent way of gauging how much exercise you’re getting. As a basic fitness guideline, aim for a daily minimum of 10,000 steps.
Resistance bands are light, easy to travel with and have the ability to give you an awesome full body workout, all within the comfort of your hotel room!
The benefits of working out with a partner are pretty great. It’s a fun way to spend time together, you can execute many different types of exercises you aren’t able to do solo, and you can provide each other with motivation when needed. If you’re vacationing with someone, partnering up to get your workouts done can be a refreshing change of pace from your every day routine.
Here are two partner exercises to try:
1. The Abdominal Workout
- Lie on the ground and hold your partner’s ankles
- Bring your legs straight up while your partner throws your legs down
- Try to slow your legs down as quickly as possible without letting them touch the ground
2. Partner Pushups
- Face your partner and as he/she goes down into a pushup, follow
- When you both push up, reach across and high five each other with your right hand
- Repeat the movement, the high five each other with your left hand
Mindful Food Choices
Exercise is key of course, but nutrition is just as important to your long-term health and fitness goals. Try to eat as many whole foods as possible, keep up the fruit and veggie intake, and hydrate often!