Quick and Easy
Smoothies are meant to be a quick, easy solution to healthy eating. So why does it seem to take longer to make a smoothie than to fry up a full bacon and egg breakfast? Cutting down on precious minutes spent washing and chopping fruit and veg will free up more time for a workout – or maybe just hitting the snooze button once more.
To save time, prepare smoothie packs in advance for easy mornings and quick healthy snacks. Not only will you have a healthy meal at the flick of a switch, freezing your fruit and veg in advance helps keep your food waste down and your nutrient intake up (especially when it comes to those browning bananas). As a bonus, the frozen goodies mean you won’t be adding ice, which just waters down the vibrant flavours of this healthy fuel.
Just follow these 3 simple steps for make-ahead smoothie success:
- Prep your fruit: We love berries for the antioxidants, and bananas are the mainstay of many yummy smoothies. Let your creativity – and fruit bowl – be your guide and add mango, peaches, watermelon, pears, grapes, apples, and citrus, as you like.
- Add greens: You won’t even notice that handful of spinach or kale. If green smoothies are your thing, get experimental with cucumber, celery, and more. Mint added to a cucumber-watermelon smoothie is to die for.
- Freeze: Once your smoothie selections are washed and chopped, bag them in a medium Ziploc freezer bag and store until you’re ready.
Now, your early morning smoothie prep consists of emptying a freezer bag into the blender with 2-3 cups of liquid and any extra ingredients. Blend until smooth, and enjoy!
Liquids we love:
- Dairy free milk (almond, soy, or maybe cashew for a creamier smoothie)
- Coconut water
- Milk or yogurt
- Chilled herbal or green tea
- Fresh pressed juice
Amp up the nutrition with these extra ingredients:
- Protein powders
- Ground flax seeds, or other fibre supplements
- PGX granules*
- Chia, hemp, and other seeds
- Nut butters
- Spices (cinnamon makes a perfect pairing with nut butter, banana, and dairy milk for a natural protein boost)
What are you fave make-ahead smoothie recipes? Did we miss any must-have tips or flavour combos? Let us know in the comments, and keep an eye out for delicious smoothie recipes coming soon on the PGX blog!
*Drink additional water (8 fl. oz.) after ingesting PGX®. If you are taking medications, take one hour prior to or two hours after taking PGX®.