There’s nothing quite like a piping hot bowl of soup as the antidote for a cold day. While chicken noodle, split pea, and minestrone soups are definite crowd pleasers, sometimes it’s good to throw a bowl of the unexpected – like a healthy hamburger soup – on the dinner table!
Healthy Hamburger Soup
Makes 8–10 servings
Make room on your regular meal rotation, because this is a soup you’ll be craving often. Chock full of vegetables, this healthy hamburger soup is guaranteed to hit the spot after a full day on the slopes, or as a quick and easy weeknight meal.
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or any ground meet of your choice)
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 large leek, sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into chunks
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven on medium-high. Add beef, onions, leek, celery, and green pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook until beef is done through.
- Once beef and veggies are cooked, add the broth, corn, diced tomatoes, and green beans to the pot.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the green beans are tender-crisp.