The Mediterranean Diet
The Mediterranean diet uses Mediterranean-style cooking and is considered a heart-healthy eating plan.
The Mediterranean diet is based on a healthy eating plan using the traditional cooking style of countries around the Mediterranean Sea.
Key components of the Mediterranean diet
The Mediterranean diet emphasizes:
- Getting plenty of exercise
- Eating primarily plant-based foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, legumes and nuts
- Replacing butter with healthy fats such as olive oil and canola oil
- Using herbs and spices instead of salt to flavor foods
- Limiting red meat to no more than a few times a month
- Eating fish and poultry at least twice a week
- Drinking red wine in moderation (optional)
- Enjoying meals with family and friends
As the Mediterranean Diet Pyramid shows the diet includes plenty of antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables! Many people who switch to this diet say they’d never eat another way! For more on the Mediterranean Diet check out the Mayo Clinic website.
Does this look like something you’d like to try out? Let us know in the comments below!