It’s easy to fall into the busy trap. We’re encouraged to believe we can “have it all”, but while we’re distracted with the pursuit of more, the important things – moments of connection and peace – can fall off the radar. Pretty soon, occasional exhaustion and everyday stress are in the drivers seat.
When it comes to stress relief, less really is more. These simple solutions will help you reclaim your life.
- Eat Mindfully – Devote an extra 5-10 minutes to each meal. Take small bites, and put your fork down between each to encourage a slower pace. Stress affects your digestive system, too, so slowing down at dinner can help you digest better – leaving you with more energy overall.
- Respect Routine – Establish a morning and evening routine to simplify your day. That way, you won’t be rushing out the door every day, or staying up too late and sacrificing sleep.
- Find Time for You – Make a list of the things that make you feel happy and fulfilled – like taking a bath, going for a run, or snuggling with your little one. Each day, carve out ten minutes (or more) for one of them. This valuable “you time” will help you recharge.
- Breathe – Breathing is an amazing way to stop the stress cycle. Slow, deep breaths calm your nervous system, so take 5 minutes when you first wake up to close your eyes and focus on your breathing. When you feel overwhelmed, a few deep breaths will quickly return you to a state of relaxation.
- Manage Mealtime – Healthy eating is the best way to set yourself up for overall health, but also the hardest to tackle during a busy day. Devote an hour a week to prepping a big dish or two – maybe soup or stew – that you can serve up all week long.
- Do Less – Prioritize what you need to do and what you really want to do – the rest of it? Not important. Allow yourself to let go of stress simply by simplifying your schedule.
How do you deal with stress? We’d love to hear your tips!