Granola — you know you want some! And that’s okay. With the right ingredients, you can pack granola with protein — one of the best nutrients for staying full and satisfied. If you struggle with weight, protein is a must-have nutrient in every meal.
As a high-quality source of plant protein, quinoa makes a fantastic addition to granola — not to mention that it’s delicious and crunchy! This pseudo-grain contains 8 g/cup of complete protein . In other words, it provides a full range of essential amino acids. Quinoa pairs well with almonds and chia seeds, which are also good sources of protein and must-have ingredients for granola.
Protein Packed Granola
Boost the protein content in your morning, mid-day, and post-workout bites with this recipe for cocoa quinoa granola.
- ¾ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (rinsing quinoa helps to remove its bitter flavour)
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 tbsp. flax seeds
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- ½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder
- 1/3 cup dried coconut flakes, unsweetened
- ½ cup dried cherries
- ½ cup almonds, chopped
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Combine quinoa, oats, chia, and flax seeds in a medium bowl
- Using a saucepan over low heat, melt honey into a liquid
- Stir in oil, vanilla, and cocoa powder until it forms a smooth slurry
- Pour over quinoa and toss until well coated
- Transfer to a baking pan and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring half way
- Allow to cool before transferring to an airtight container
- Add coconut, cherries, and almonds. Gently toss to mix
Whether you eat meat or not, including a variety of protein-rich foods, such as *PGX® Satisfast™ Vegan Protein, in every meal is critical to optimizing your health, energy, and power.
*Drink additional water (8 fl. oz.) after ingesting PGX®. If you are taking medications, take one hour prior to or two hours after taking PGX®.
 Food and Agriculture Organizations. “Quinoa.” United Nations. Web. 3 March 2016. http://www.fao.org/quinoa-2013/what-is-quinoa/nutritional-value/en/