The Benefits of Coconut Water
Just finished a workout and ready to reach for your water bottle? Consider reaching for coconut water instead! Not only is coconut water the ultimate thirst quencher, but it also delivers a wealth of other health benefits – and it’s delicious!
Here’s why we stock up on coconut water every chance we get:
H20 alone doesn’t equal hydration – your body needs natural salts known as electrolytes to stay hydrated and balanced. Coconut water is 95% water, but it’s the other 5% that makes this beverage stand out. Potassium, sodium, and magnesium are the most important electrolytes, and they are abundant in coconut water. If you’re exercising, sweating (hello, heat wave), or simply struggling to pack enough fruits and veggies into your day, coconut water is an excellent way to ensure your body gets those essential electrolytes. And unlike sports drinks, you’re skipping all the added sugars and artificial flavors.
Coconut water contains a lot of nutrients that help our bodies thrive, such as:
- A range of vitamins (especially the B vitamins),
- Trace elements, including: zinc, selenium, iodine, sulfur, and manganese
B vitamins are necessary for your cells to produce energy, so if you feel fatigue coming on, a coconut water might be just what you need!
This essential mineral keeps your brain, heart, and nervous system in working order. One serving of coconut water has as much potassium as a banana – about 13% of your daily potassium needs. Drink up!
Light on the Calories
Sure, plain water might be 100% calorie free, but coconut water is a pretty light on the calories too, with just 42 calories per 240 g serving. It’s also low in sugar. Coconut water may taste sweet, but it’s all natural sugar. Be sure to check the label before you buy though – some brands of Coconut water may use added sugars.
We’re used to finding antioxidants in vibrantly coloured things – think the deep red hue of pomegranate juice – but did you know they’re also hanging out in your coconut water? And since antioxidants help prevent the damage caused by free radicals, that’s a pretty great thing to have hanging out in your drink!
Healthy Blood Pressure
Proper electrolyte balance supports a healthy cardiovascular system. Coconut water supplies the important electrolytes that help maintain healthy blood pressure already within the normal range.*
Healthy Weight Loss
Coconut water is an excellent complement to a healthy weight loss program. You can drink a lot without worrying about added pounds. Plus, it’s more likely to leave you feeling full and satisfied than water. It’s the perfect option for mixing with PGX, too!
Coconut water is delicious on its own, but it’s also a great way to add a little tropical flavour – and a few extra nutrients – to your smoothies by subbing it for water.
Coconut water is sure to leave you feeling refreshed and replenished. Now that you know it’s key to healthy hydration, how will you be adding it to your fitness routine?
* This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.