This Weight Wise Wednesday, we’re sharing some salad know-how!
Are hidden calories in your salad sabotaging your healthy diet?
Here on Weight Wise Wednesday we have a look at where the hidden calories sneak their way in and what are some healthy alternatives to include in your salad.
Salad Ingredients to Try to Avoid:
- Croutons, tortilla chips and large amounts of cheese (a touch of cheese is better)
- Processed meats: deli meat, fried chicken, and beef.
- Creamy or sugar filled salad dressings. The average Caesar salad dressing contains 150 calories in 2 tablespoons and 15 grams of fat*.
?Healthy Alternative Ingredients to Include in Your Salad:
- Boiled eggs (contains protein and Omega 3’s)
- Fresh vegetables (tomatoes, peppers, onions)
- Black beans and garbanzo beans – chickpeas (high in fiber)
- Lean protein (baked chicken, turkey and salmon)
- Edamame beans (high in protein, iron and fiber)
- Balsamic dressing – see our easy recipe below.
?Balsamic Olive Oil Dressing
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar
- Pinch of Sea Salt and Pepper
- Pinch of Garlic Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or to personal taste)
Shake in bottle and store leftover dressing in the fridge.
Easy way to add a few more healthy benefits:
- Chia Seeds (Omega 3’s)
- PGX Singles (sprinkler over the salad – helps control hunger and control blood sugar levels)
- Flax Seeds or Flax Oil (high in Omega 3’s and Fiber)
What are your favourite ingredients to include in your salad? Let us know in the comments below or on our Facebook Page. Join our healthy salad conversation.