Looking for the next big fitness trend to get in on? Sometimes you just have to get outside of your regular exercise routine and try something new – and totally fun!
Here are three adventurous fitness activities that are trending right now:
If you loved climbing trees, jumping off things, and jungle gyms as a kid, then Parkour is for you!
Parkour, also known as free running, is a form of physical discipline where you move freely about, using only the abilities of your body. Basically, you learn to use controlled and fluid movements to navigate over and around every obstacle, such as walls, steps, and railings.
You can practice parkour outside but it is usually taught in a gym setting with a certified instructor.
What to Expect
- A full body, challenging workout, unlike anything you’ve tried before!
- Learning alongside people of all ages, shapes, and sizes
- Jumping on, off, and over obstacles
- Climbing on, off, and over obstacles
- Swift, controlled movements
Ever wonder what exercises ballet dancers do to maintain their long, lean muscles?
Barre is a hybrid of ballet, yoga, and pilates that also makes use of a ballet bar. Mix in light weights, a mini-ball, and all the squat variations you’ve ever done – that’s your average barre class.
What to Expect?
- A total body, challenging workout – all without moving more than a couple of feet per class!
- Great, upbeat music to motivate you
- Repetitive movements that employ the use of light weights and squats
3. Aerial Yoga
Have you ever seen Cirque du Soleil and gawked at the acrobatics of the performers? And how they move through the air using only fabric to hold their bodies up? It seems like an impossible feat!
Aerial yoga incorporates the use of a soft, fabric hammock alongside traditional yoga, pilates, and dance moves. The fabric is supportive and can withhold your weight in the air as it is connected to carabineers.
What to Expect?
- A full-body, zero-impact workout that targets your core
- A relaxing, gentle atmosphere
- Traditional yoga class with added perks of deeper stretches utilizing the hammock as well as fun, new variations of poses suspended in the air (about 3 feet or so)
Whether you choose to be suspended in the air, working out with a barre, or climbing and jumping off obstacles, these trending fitness workouts are sure to bring a little spice to your weekly routines. Remember, new movements can help bring you to the next level in your training.